Originally located about one mile to the south of the Chattahoochee River and approximately two miles from the site of the Creek Indian settlement of Standing Peachtree, Wood Cabin is noteworthy as an example of a log structure constructed during the time this area of North Georgia was the frontier. The cabin currently stands in a meadow in Swan Woods.
Elias Wood purchased Land Lot 251 in District 17 (which included land as far east as the current Atlanta History Center campus) in 1847, but the cabin might date to decades before that. Starting in 1805, Georgia held eight land lotteries that parceled off Creek Indian lands to white settlers. The land on which the cabin once sat was ceded to the State of Georgia from the Creek Confederacy by the First Treaty of Indian Springs on January 8, 1821.
Carl Hartrampf Jr. and his son Carl III located the cabin in 1996 concealed inside the Victorian home on Hollywood Road in Northwest Atlanta. Carl purchased the rights to remove the cabin from the house. The logs were disassembled and relocated to Winfield Farm at Scaly Mountain, North Carolina. In 2014, the cabin was relocated from North Carolina to the Atlanta History Center’s campus.
The old logs cut for this cabin some 200 years ago have born witness to tremendous change -- settlement and trade, the Creek who were driven away, the coming of the railroads, the Civil War soldiers that passed by, the growth of Buckhead, and more. Wood Cabin is used to tell the story of Native Americans, white settlers, and folk traditions of the rural South.