Founded in 1913 as the Georgia School of Technology’s Evening School of Commerce, Georgia State University now offers more than 250 degree programs with 100 fields of study.
In the fall 2015 semester, Georgia State enrolled 32,082 students. The University employs over 1,100 full-time faculty of which 61% are either tenured or on a tenure track.
As the university has grown, so has its physical presence in downtown Atlanta. In 1982, the Atlanta Municipal Auditorium opened as Alumni Hall. In 1993, the former C&S Bank Building designed by architect Philip Trammell Shutze was repurposed as the Robinson College of Business. In 1996, Georgia State expanded into the Fairlie-Poplar District with the acquisition of the Standard Building, the Haas-Howell Building, and the Rialto Theatre. Most recently, in 2004, the Andrew Young School of Policy Studies was moved into the former First National Bank Building at Five Points.
In December 2015, the university won the bid to renovate Turner Field into an open-air football stadium and build a new baseball field on the site.
Cover Image: Georgia State University Master Plan, 2012.
Joel Chandler Harris gained international prominence for his volumes of Uncle Remus folktales.